Reading Time: 4 minutes

Making your home a safe haven for you and your family is a priority to us all. To that end, we fortify our home security with smart gadgets, hire guards, install cameras, and clear home off pests & germs. But with all our efforts, there is still one culprit that is often overlooked, mold spores. Getting rid of mold is easy, but if left unchecked, can cause a wide range of health & structure problems. But before we talk about how to get rid of mold, let’s discuss what they really are.

What is Mold?

microscopic view of mold
Mold spores spread easily during Summer

Molds are a type of fungus that grows best in warm, humid and moist weather. They are usually black or brown color and are capable of growing on a variety of surfaces. Molds can cause a number of respiratory problems as well as eat away the material it grows on. Finding mold in your home during summer isn’t uncommon, but some proper preparation for the season will prevent mold growth.

Get rid of Mold using Bleach

bottle of bleach
While using bleach is one of the best things you can do to remove mold, physical contact with it is harmful

Bleach is a very potent mold remover. The hypochlorite in bleach alters the mold’s form by heating up its proteins and destroying it. They are amazing for getting rid of mold from non-porous surfaces such as tiles, glass, bathtubs, and countertops. However, keep in mind that bleach cannot penetrate porous material such as drywall. First, apply or spray some bleach solution into a rag and let it absorb for about five minutes. After that, just gently scrub away at the mold surface so it doesn’t get scratched or damaged. Once done, clean the surface and the bleach away with a damp rag. Make sure to wear protective gloves and open all the windows when using bleach.

Get rid of Mold using Ammonia

beakers and chemicals
Ammonia is one of the best answers to the question ‘how to kill mold’

Ammonia can be used to create a more eco-friendly solution for mold removal than other chemical-based products. However, they can be toxic to humans similar to bleach; so caution is absolutely necessary during use. And like bleach, ammonia cannot penetrate a porous surface but is excellent for tiles, glass, and countertops. The ammonia solution should contain 50% clear ammonia and 50% water. It is best to use a spray bottle instead of applying it directly using a rag. Spray onto the affected surface and let it sit for a few hours before you start scrubing. For safety, throw away the clothes you use to clear out to mold.

Get rid of Mold using Vinegar

bowl and bottle of vinegar
The acidic compound within vinegar is what helps in getting rid of mold

If you don’t know yet, vinegar is a miracle item. It has multiple usages like getting rid of bad smells from home and preventing pest infestation; and best of all, it does everything exceptionally well. One of its many uses includes removing mold from surfaces. While it might not be as effective as ammonia, there are several upsides to using a vinegar solution over others. For example, it is non-toxic, can kill about 82% of mold species, and doesn’t give off fumes. Its application is simple too. Just pour distilled white vinegar on a spray bottle and spray on the moldy surface before wiping it down.

Get rid of Mold using Baking Soda

a jar of spilled baking soda
Only a small amount of baking soda can be used for creating effective mold removal solution

Baking soda is another great non-toxic mold remover. It is convenient, works on any surface, inexpensive, and eco-friendly. Baking soda is a household item that everyone has. The solution is harmless to touch and smell. All you need to create it is a one-quarter tablespoon of baking soda mixed into a spray bottle of water. You can also mix baking soda with detergent to create a more potent solution. For this, you’d need half a cup of baking soda, one cup of water, and one tablespoon of detergent. While they might not be as effective as bleach or ammonia, all its other benefits outweigh the cons.

Taking mold lightly is an error that will have a long-term effect on our health and the place we leave in. It is best to take care of it as soon as it starts to grow. A little vigilance and effort will save us from a lifetime of regret and pain.

Write A Comment