Living in a small space has its own advantages. It can benefit you with lower utility bills, lower maintenance costs, easy upkeep, and other perceptible benefits. But sometimes even with all these benefits, living in a small house may feel confining. And you may want to feel airy even though you don’t have that much room. One way to tackle this problem is to incorporate clever tricks and design principles and make your room feel more spacious by using color.
In the following section, we will be discussing how color can help you create the illusion of more space and how exactly you can achieve it.
Necessary Tips and Tricks
- It is the color of the interior that immediately catches your attention when you enter into a room. When it comes to designing the interior, color plays a vital role in creating an environment with special attributes. In that regard, if you want to make your room feel more spacious, use light colors such as white. That way your room will look more reflective than absorbent.
- If you have lots of angles and other architectural features you want to downplay, paint all surfaces the same color. To highlight a unique ceiling or decorative trim, paint the walls a different color than whatever feature you want to highlight. This will create a focal point and add an extra dimension to the space.
- Maintain the same color pattern on your wall and floor. You can also use different shades of the same color. This will add continuity to the room and give it a progressive look overall.
- Paint your ceiling with darker colors. This will create a perception of a lower ceiling level but make it seem wider and longer in dimension.
- Always choose the complementary color for your furnishing in regards to the interior. For example, when purchasing curtains, don’t buy randomly. Match the color of your curtain with the color of your walls or you can choose a different shade of the same color.
- Use different shades of the same color for a cohesive look. Choosing different shades of the same color scheme for your walls, furniture, and even your rug creates a sense of unity throughout the area. Visual coherence tricks your mind into perceiving the space in a small room as being more open.
Variations of Color
The wrong selection of colors can sometimes make a large space feel small. If used correctly, color can add dimensions to the place as well as bring positive changes to the overall look and feel of your house. Colors such as Royal Ivory, Chandan, Off white or Icy Blue can make any room look brighter and also create a perception of grander space. This is why it is very important to choose bright and soft colors if you want to create the illusion of more space.
And also remember to match the interior color with your furnishing for a spacious and unifying look. If you wish, you can paint your door and window with a darker color; that will add contrast to the room. But if you really want to use a darker color on the wall, select one wall only and apply a satin coat after the paint job. This reflective coat will make the whole area brighter. You can also customize the interior with wall art to add a little bit of creativity.
Using different types of color to make your room feel more spacious is not a hard thing to do. If you have a good understanding of color, with a little bit of effort and time you can easily change the entire vibe of the space as well as make it feel bigger than it really is.
What color would you pick to make your room feel more spacious? Let us know in the comments section below.