Clutter, bad lighting, furniture in the wrong place – these things affect more than just how comfortable you feel at home.
According to the ancient Chinese art of Feng Shui, the layout of your living space can also affect how happy you are in a relationship or how successful you are in a career.
From your health to wealth, the principles of Feng Shui can help create harmony and positive energy in all aspects of your life.
Feng Shui: the rules
To find out whether the layout of your home is inviting positive energy into your life, place the Feng Shui Octagon (pictured above) over the floor plan of your house or apartment.
This tool is a guide to figuring out which areas of your home correspond to which life areas.
The thinking is that by making small changes to your living space, you will see improvements in these areas. Feng Shui also encourages the use of color to enhance each of these areas.
For example, the color green is said to boost family harmony and unity. So putting indoor plants in your ‘family’ area would encourage stronger relationships with your loved ones.
10 steps to boosting Feng Shui at home
As well as applying the rules above, here are some simple ways to get started with Feng Shui.
- Clear out the clutter. This is the most important basic step in creating harmony at home.
- Fix anything that is broken. Pay particular attention to any leaking taps or pipes: these are said to drain your finances and wealth.
- Add mirrors to your hallway as these can increase energy flow. However, remove any mirrors that directly face the front door: these are a big taboo in Feng Shui.
- Move key pieces of furniture to the ‘empowered’ position. Items like your bed and couches should be positioned so you can see the door but are not directly aligned with it.
- Buy some greenery. Add some indoor plants to your home, focusing on living areas and bathrooms.
- Cover any windows opposite the front door. Energy can escape from here so make sure these windows have curtains or blinds.
- Check the lighting in your living room. Make sure you have enough light sources that space is well lit when in use.
- Add a water source – such as a fountain or an aquarium – in the north section of your home. This can improve your career and finances.
- Don’t position couches and sofas under beams in the roof. This can lead to financial loss, headaches and other health issues.
- If you want to bring love into your life, focus on your home’s southwest. Placing candles, crystals or even painting a wall in this area red is said to aid your search for a soul mate.